What is Depression?
Everyone occasionally feels blue or sad. But these feelings are usually short-lived and pass within a couple of days. When you have depression, it interferes with daily life and causes pain for both you and those who care about you. You may feel:
- Depressed mood, most of the day, nearly every day
- Loss of interest or pleasure in almost all activities
- Chants in appetite
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Fatigue, lack of energy
- Decreased ability to think, concentrate, or be decisive
- Recurrent thoughts of death
Depression is a common but serious illness. Many people with a depressive disorder never seek treatment. But the majority, even those with the most severe depression, can get better with treatment.